Origins of Catatombs of París (more pics in website)
The history of the catacombs begins when these were not yet. In the beginning these tunnels served as limestone quarries to build a large part of the monuments and buildings that can be visited today. In this time the tunnels were called Les Carrières de Paris (the quarries of Paris).
In 1786, to combat the epidemics and diseases that plagued the population, it was decided to move the corpses and bones from different cemeteries in the city to the catacombs.
Of the 300 kilometers of excavated catacombs, only a small part can currently be visited.
Although the visit to the catacombs is something "chilling", it is curious to contemplate the infinite human bones and skulls grouped together forming extensive constructions.
Although it is a awesome and fantastic tourist visit, the catacombs are not one of the most crowded places by tourists.
#tammywhite